Friday, March 20, 2009

re:Wind - Diary of Young Jeezy: "Ain't Nuttin But a Gangsta Menagé - The Tour" - PART 1

Sunday 1st March: re:Spectacle first interview with Lord Jeezy of Thuggsville

The Dorchester, London

14:23

I enter the hotel lobby still feeling the excesses of last night's after show party which, according to my blurred memory, primarily consisted of snorting lines of Cristal off naked strippers and a seemingly never-ending supply of NoCo Limes. The doorman greets me and, spotting my Press Pack pass, directs me straight to the presidential suite on the 23rd floor. This is one interview too X rated for Lizo and crew…

As I enter the palatial surroundings of Jeezy's suite I'm greeted by the sight of Chedda-Boy, close companion and chart topping krunk star in his own right, puffing on a large Cuban and also smoking a cigar.

"Yo foo'. Jeezy dun be dat way'" his deep Southern accent slurs, mouth half full, pointing me in the direction of the next room. I bounce through with all the excitement of a young reindeer on Christmas Eve eve.

Jeezy is sat on the balcony scribbling furiously in his rhymepad. He greets me with a typically warm embrace and remarks,

"Dat dun be some crazy sheezy last night son!"

I congratulate him on the success of the opening night, and more importantly for introducing me to the joys of inhaling vintage champagne. With the formalities out of the way, we take a seat on the balcony basking in the glorious warmth of a March hail storm.

PS: So Jeezy, opening night of the tour last night and, according to an independent focus group, it went off something crazy rotten! How was it for you?

YJ: Yeah man I dun heard nuff rumours about the Old Sl*t and Bucket, nuff rumours. Dat venue be off the hinge baby boy! Crowd be mad ill and ting. Like a damn nurses room at junior school up in that piece!

PS: You've managed to combine a global tour with extensive charity work as part of your role as Goodtings Ambassador for the UN. Which specific causes are closest to your heart?

YJ: Whatever son, all of them. Jeezy dun already wants to make it coo' for all his international bredrins.

PS: You and C-Boy are currently signed to L'il Jacob's Murk Dem Killa records and have already worked with the majority of the genre's most iconic and innovative producers. Who's left out there on the scene still on your hitlist?

YJ: Son, one thing I dun learnt is the krunk script is like a pancake - it be constantly flipped. At the moment I'm workin on some new shizzle produced by Dr Dutt and featuring Sean-a-Paul, which dun been my dream since forever! The Doc's a legend, I remember bumping his radio show on Coo' 43 FM up in the projects as a kid. Other than dat I'm really feelin that Chino XL shizzle right now. Big up my boy LB on dat tip!

PS: You touched briefly on your youth growing up in the gritty projects of Bolton, Atlanta and listening to Dr Dutt with your contemporaries. How have those experiences framed your lyrics and style?

YJ: Thug life son, that be the only platinum and diamond encrusted frame for my lyrical content. My stee-lo? Breds dun be biting like a coy carp, but lest they forget we been rocking the coo' cas garms in Bolton since back in the day.

Jeezy's tour manager, Felipe, politely informs us that there is enough time for 1 more question before he has to head off as guest of honour at the launch of a new recycling depot in Bracknell.

PS: Jeezy it's been great to catch up with you today - thanks for your time. Can you give your fans a little taste of what to expect for the rest of the tour?

YJ: Sheezy son - BIG TINGS! Some proper baller-as* sh*t each and every night! You best stick with my boy ill Philly-Phil for dat daisy fresh sh*t!

And just like that Jeezy plus entourage of 48 depart the room. In a 7 min 12 second interview the legend opens up just enough to get you interested, but leaves you screaming for more like an opiate-addicted Busta Rhymes.

TBC….

Phillustrious Schofield

(click for more Young Jeezy Tour Diary)
(click here to see more re:Wind)

0 comments: